Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wow I've been so busy in 2008!

Wow, I hardly had time to upkeep my blog. Work has slowed down a bit now, which is not necessarily a good thing, but has left me lots of time to update my site and my blog! For my clients and friends, hello again! I know, you all emailed me and asked when I would be posting more poetry, sorry I have nothing for you today my darling fans!

During 2008 I wrote several grant proposals for individuals seeking funding for NHS research. That was exhausting, time consuming, and data intensive work. One funding proposal I wrote was in regards to handwashing training for international nurses working in impoverished countries. I was very sad while completing the research proposal as it taught me that 3.5 million children every year in third world countries die from preventable diarrhoeal diseases---simply because they lack soap and clean water and handwashing training. Thankfully, there are many international nurses and physicians willing to put their own lives on the line to help create a better world for impoverished persons, and I was really proud to play a small part in their ability to do so.

I also completed hundreds of web based articles, ranging from more Forex technical writings to massage therapy training.

The end of 2007 and most of 2008 was a very hard time for me, personally. The week of Thanksgiving 2007 my sister, at 27 years old, went into a coma from a medication combination and died five days later. In July of 2008, my aunt, at age 38, died in her sleep from sleep apnea complications. In October of 2008, my grandpa, at age 89, died from complications due to a subdermal hemmorage. I was at his side when he died and administered CPR, but was unable to resecutate him. To say the least it has been a time of struggle and sadness for my family.

Please, friends and collegues and clients, check your medications and ensure that they do not have deadly combinations. If you suffer from sleep apnea, understand that there is a very low morbidity rate associated with this complication, but it does exist and you should contact your doctor. Learn CPR and emergency first aid, as this knowledge helped me act when I was caring for my grandpa. I did not save him, but at least I was able to try! You can learn first aid and CPR from your local Red Cross facility!

No comments: