Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Things coming up for me.....

Well, my friend Kim Griffin and I have been working on a book of dark poetry we will be publishing at LULU.COM. We are hoping to have it up for sale in September 2007, but first I have to figure out how to make a gosh darn pdf file look the way I want the gosh darn pdf file too look! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

The poems are not for the faint of heart. I wanted to convey the darker, more secretive side of life. Those things we feel but we never say. The pains we hide and the demons in our hearts we try so desperately to control.

Seriously, writing the poetry was the easy part. Now I have to think about the format, organization, the images, the way the book will look and feel when my readers have it in their hands....

Kim is awesome, her artwork is displayed at the right. She is a great photographer and illustrator and I am sooo lucky to have her on board! Kim's art is really what is making the book. The poems convey feelings, the art conveys the imagery.

Resizing the photography and artistry to fit on the page with the poetry has become a bit of a struggle, but I am certain that we will be triumphant!

It is also hard to find the time to work on the arrangement, as far as how it is most eye-appealing and not jarring to read the poetry either over the image, beside the image, above or below the image.

So my props go out to the book editors/designers who do this for a living. There is so much more too making a book than I ever thought possible!

1 comment:

Lovis said...

Good luck for you to be triumphant !