Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Writer's Block is Exhausting.

Writer's block is a pain in the hind end. It cramps your style. It makes you judge yourself. It makes you wonder if writing is what you should be doing. If I worked in a factory or manufacturing, I would be bored but at least I would know exactly what to do and when to do it.

Writing is a solitary art. There are a bunch of websites, tricks and tips to overcome writers block, but at the end of the day it is only you and the keyboard (Or pen and paper).

The problem is that there is no one to kick you in the butt and say GET TO WORK! There is no whistle bell for when you should start and stop working. I tried using the alarm clock, but that just irritated me because I pretty much hate clocks.

Inspiration comes at the oddest of times. Worse yet, writer's block only comes when I really need inspiration! I shouldn't even be writing this blog right now. I should be working because I have assigned work due by the end of the week.

Not finishing that work means not getting paid for that work.

Not getting paid means we aren't going to eat next week.

Not eating next week is a bad thing.

Now, I wish I had a muse. Not the imaginary muse, but a real life muse standing right next to me. One who orders me to get to work. One who tells me exactly what to write, how to write it, and pushes me to get it done.

Luckily for me the closest thing to a muse I have is my family!

2 comments:

littlemissattitude said...

The best cure I know for writer's block is having an external deadline every day. :)

Lovis said...

Hi,nice to reading your words .
Problem or question is the key to great thoughts .I consider a question as a parcel full of answers .